ABOUT LINKS
about


♥hui ying
280398

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
-John Lennon

Currently lost but I'm finding my way.


Please // Saturday, September 21, 2013
6:08 PM


Daughter
"You were caught off guard. You have never thought of Mother as separate from the kitchen. Mother was the kitchen and the kitchen was Mother. You never wondered, did Mother like being in the kitchen?" 

Son
"He never became a prosecutor. Mother always called it his dream, but he hadn't understood that it had been Mother's dream, too. He only thought of it as a youthful wish that couldn't be achieved; it never occurred to him that he had deflated Mother's aspirations as well. He realises that Mother has lived her life believing that she was the one who held him back from his dream. I'm sorry, Mother, I didn't keep my promise."

Husband
"You walked in front of your wife your entire life. Sometimes you would turn a corner without even looking back. When your wife called you from far behind, you would grumble at her, asking her why she was walking so slowly. And so fifty years passed.When you waited for her, she stopped next to you, her cheeks reddened, saying with a smile, 'I still wish you'd go a little slower.' You assumed that was how you would live out the rest of your days. But since that day in Seoul Station when you left on the train, that day when she was only a few steps behind you, your wife still hasn't come to you."

Her
"Mother raises her head and looks at me. My grandmother had a dream when I was being born. A cow with a shiny brown coat was stretching, having just woken, raising its knees. My grandmother said that I  would be very energetic, since I was born just as the cow was using its energy to get up, and said that I should be well taken care of, because I would become the source of a lot of joy. Mother looks at my foot, the strap of the blue plastic sandal digging into it. The bone is visible through the would in my foot. Mother's face crumples in sorrow. That face is the face I saw when I looked into the mirror of the wardrobe after I gave birth to a dead baby. 'My baby,' Mother says, and opens her arms. Mother puts her hands under my armpits as if she's holding a child who has just died. She takes the blue plastic sandals off my feet and pulls my feet into her lap. Mother doesn't smile. She doesn't cry. Did Mother know? That I, too, needed her my entire life?"